V is Vindaloo – A to Z Challenge 2020

When in Goa, try the traditional Vindaloo!

History:

Also called the Vindalho, this is one of the most popular dishes in Goa and the Konkan region. It has Portuguese, British, and Goan influences which pre-dates from Portuguese & British rule in India. Back then it was also called “Carne de vinha d’alhos” that translates to “meat in garlic wine marinade”.

What is the difference between vindaloo and curry?

The “vindaloo” is a unique blend of chili, ginger, cumin, tamarind, more herbs,  and spices. “Curry” also called “Kari” originates from a South Asian cuisine, flavored by a spiced sauce to be eaten with rice.

How hot is Vindaloo curry?

Let’s just say it’s hotter than your average curry. It packs quite a punch on your nose and throat. Maybe add a bit of sweat too! But the taste is worth everything. You can alter spices as per your tolerance level.

How do you make Vindaloo from scratch?

There are 3 variants of this dish namely chicken, pork and beef! Over the years, people have begun experimenting a lot. To make it easy for you, I have found amazing recipes in English, Hindi, Bengali, and Malayalam. Using this, you can create this iconic Goan dish!

Chicken:

English – Whisk Affair, and Indian Healthy Recipes

Hindi – Archana’s Kitchen, and

Bengali – Cook Pad

Malayalam – Manorama

Pork Recipe (English) – All Recipes

Beef Recipe (English) – Food Network

Follow my food journey on Zomato and Instagram

Here are my past posts for the A to Z Challenge

2015 – V is for Vafrous

2016 – V is for Vacuity and Viaggiatory

2017 – V is for Veneniferous

2018 – V is for Vaurien

2019 – V is for Vagient

2 thoughts on “V is Vindaloo – A to Z Challenge 2020”

  1. I’m not really sure if it was vindaloo, but I had tried some local recipe last time and it was super hot. I was eating ice within a while.
    Super, Super hot food. Thanks for the reminder 😀 😀 😀

What do you think about this article?

Scroll to Top