Watermelon

W is for Watermelon – A to Z Challenge 2020

Watermelon is more than 5000+ years old!

I looked up its history that predates a long time ago. If you’ve read the catholic BIBLE, this fruit has been mentioned more than once! Quite historic, don’t you think?

What are the benefits of eating watermelon?

There are multiple benefits. I’m listing down 5 major benefits below;

For those who don’t know, this fruit is 90%+ water. So eating this lets you STAY HYDRATED.

You end up consuming LOW CALORIES and end up feeling full.

It contains nutrients like VITAMINS A, B, C, D, Potassium, & Magnesium. Most of these vitamins are good for your SKIN & HAIR.

Few of its compounds can help LOWER RISK OF CANCER.

Lifestyle wise, this fruit reduces blood pressure, & cholesterol levels. This improves your HEART HEALTH.

If you wish to learn more about health benefits & risk factors do check out Live Science.

When should you not eat watermelon?

If possible, try avoiding this fruit post-dinner. It might cause an acidic reaction and delay your digestion process while you sleep. As much as possible, eat this during the day.

Is it OK to eat watermelon every day?

When you have more of anything, it can affect your health. Most of the sweetness comes naturally from watermelon. So if you eat more of this fruit, over time it can increase the sugar content & lycopene in your body. This can cause nausea, diarrhea, indigestion, and the feeling of bloating.

What can be made with watermelon?

There are so many recipe ideas that you can try while practicing social distancing at home. Listing down some of my favorites from Archana’s Kitchen:

Pizza Recipe (English) – Click Here

Spiced Curry with Carrot & Peppers (English) – Click Here

Corn Salad Recipe (Hindi) – Click Here

Rasam Recipe (English) – Click Here

Please Note – Watermelon is the main ingredient in all the above recipes.

Watermelon also happens to help in losing weight and is the best food to have in your diet. If you wish to burn excess fat and eat right, Check out Alpana’s post that would help you with 5 good exercises.

Follow my food journey on Zomato and Instagram

Here are my past posts for the A to Z Challenge

Vindaloo Recipe

V is Vindaloo – A to Z Challenge 2020

When in Goa, try the traditional Vindaloo!

History:

Also called the Vindalho, this is one of the most popular dishes in Goa and the Konkan region. It has Portuguese, British, and Goan influences which pre-dates from Portuguese & British rule in India. Back then it was also called “Carne de vinha d’alhos” that translates to “meat in garlic wine marinade”.

What is the difference between vindaloo and curry?

Read More
Upma Recipe In Marathi Hindi

U is for Upma – A to Z Challenge 2020

Any Indian at some point in their life has tried an Upma for breakfast. You might have tried it either,

At Breakfast

When you are running late to the office on an empty stomach

As the best company with Tea

You have less money in your pocket

No matter what the reason be, Upma has been a part of every Mumbaikar’s life. There are hundreds of stalls all over the city starting as early as 7 am. They do this for every passerby to enjoy this hot and tasty breakfast option.

There are various names in India for this tasty dish. It is also called as Uppumavu (Tamil), Uppittu (Kannada), Saanja (Marathi)

How many Upma calories do we consume?

Read More