Best Japanese Restaurant in Mumbai

Kofuku Juhu – An Amazing Japanese Restaurant in Mumbai

Aisatsu!

Which is also called as “greetings” is how we were greeted while entering Kofuku. Also called as “Happiness” in Japanese, Kofuku aims at spreading happiness through its scrumptious food.

If I had to look for the Top Japanese restaurants near me in Mumbai, Kofuku would definitely be on that list.

You are bound to be transported to all your memories of television shows and movies that display how a restaurant styled in Japanese is. Kofuku has two types of seating; One with your basic tables and chairs. The second one is the Japanese traditional “Izakaya” sitting where you sit on the floor. It’s quite a good feeling and very intimate too.

Kofuku has an amazing staff and we were treated well by the Manager “Rajesh”. One of the staff named “Roger” choose the best food options Kofuku has to serve.

Here’s how we began our meal in Kofuku i.e. one of the best Japanese Restaurant in Mumbai;

Pomegranate lemonade and Dark Berry – These two mocktails lived to its name and tasted exactly as it should. We liked them.

Kofuku in general is well known for its amazing sushi options. We tried 2 varieties of sushi here and this is what we felt;

Best Sushi in Mumbai Japanese Restaurant

Oh My God Sushi – Also called the flaming sushi, this one has my favorite sushi combination of all time i.e. Cream cheese, salmon, and Avocado. I always would make it a point to try out this combination anywhere I visit. Here too, the sushi was amazing.

Drizzled with creamy spicy and sweet sauce, you are bound to declare your unconditional love back to sushi. Served with sweet-sour and a salty soy dip, wasabi, and pickled ginger, my mouth salivates as I remember the meal from last night.

Prawns Tempura Sushi

Prawns Tempura Sushi – Another revelation in recent times has been the prawn tempura. I am not fond of prawns but when it comes to sushi, I can’t let go of this option.

This is supposed to be crispy sushi along with its creamy spicy and sweet sauce.

Yes, the crispy quotient was not fully up to the mark but it indeed was a good choice. They serve this with a sweet-sour and a salty soy dip, wasabi, and pickled ginger. The strength of the wasabi is indeed strong. Eat wisely.

Chicken Yakitori in Kofuku

Chicken Yakitori – “Roger” suggested we take an appetizer instead of third sushi. Although we were not sure about that, we are glad he helped us choose this. Here you have grilled Chicken pieces that are placed on skewers and are glazed with sweet-spicy Yakitori sauce.

This one is more on the sweeter side and the meat is cooked well. I would suggest you opt for this only if you prefer sweetness in your meal.

Balinese curry in yellow coconut flavor - Best Japanese Restaurant in Mumbai

Kofuku Balinese curry in yellow coconut flavor – This is one of the three “Chef’s curry specials” available in Kofuku. As the name suggests, this curry has a lot of coconut in it. Cooked well, balanced taste, amazing texture, thick curry goes so well with the boneless chicken chunks.

Being a Mangalorean, I have always seen coconut being mixed in our curries. I love them and hence when I tried this chef’s special, it felt like home.

The curry taste is so good, no doubt they are one of the best Japanese Restaurant in Mumbai.

Teppanyaki fried rice in Best Japanese Restaurant in Mumbai

Teppanyaki fried rice – This one is one of Roger’s suggestions. He said the traditional Balinese curry would go well with the traditional Japanese fried rice with eggs and veggies. So we did try this and yes, this sticky rice does go well with the curry. I must say, the rice bowl looks too cute.

Mochi Ice cream – Finally to end this scrumptious meal, we opted for a traditional Japanese dessert. They had many other options and we took one which had no chocolate.

Here they have pounded sticky rice with two separate ice cream fillings of Vanilla & Mango. I must give them credit for the presentation of this dessert as they make this look like a fruit cut in 4 pieces.

In the end, we left this amazing Japanese restaurant in Mumbai with a very good meal experience. I’m sure you will too. Do visit Kofuku for an authentic meal experience.

Arigato! (Thank you)

Follow me on Instagram and Zomato for more such foodie encounters!

You can also read – Netflix has Secret Codes that unlock 250+ Hidden Categories

Yazu Andheri – Best Japanese Restaurant in Andheri

I’ve always been fond of Asian cuisine varieties. There’s so much you can bring to the table using a mix of hundreds of ingredients and spices to tickle your taste buds. And then there is my love for sushi. Hence when I visited Yazu Andheri also called as the best Japanese restaurant in Andheri, I knew I was in for a good experience.

Location and proximity to the station – Situated beside the best landmark in Andheri west i.e Infinity Mall, Yazu Andheri is the best lounge in Andheri and has space for more than 100 guests at one time. You can reach here via the DN Nagar metro station within 10 minutes, 15-20 minutes each to Jogeshwari or Andheri station.

Yazu Andheri

Seating and Ambiance:

There’s comfortable seating along with seating allocated at the bar and a separate area with a high table for those who want to enjoy the live screenings. There is absolutely no problem whatsoever in terms of space congestion.

Food and Drinks in Yazu Andheri – Here’s what we tried;

  1. Bhut Jolokia Mule – I am a whiskey cocktail person. But something about this place made me try different options. The staff suggested Bhut Jolokia Mule. For those who don’t know, Bhut Jolokia is the spiciest chilly all over the world found within India. They have made a paste out of it and added vodka along with ginger and lemon. This drink gives the perfect hit and taste. It is spicy and lovely. Highly recommended that you try it out.
  1. Yazu special Gin and Tonic – I also am fond of the classic gin with tonic water at the Yazu restaurant Mumbai. It really has amazing taste. Here too they have served with cinnamon and the end result is so good. There is a nice aroma coming out of the glass and it is amazing. Please do try it out.
Yazu Restaurant Mumbai - Best Sushi
  1. Prawn Tempura with creamy salmon – Perhaps one of the most surprising moments of my dinner here was this sushi. I am not a prawns fan but on their suggestion, I did try it. Along with prawns and salmon, there was avocado, cucumber, and Togarashi sauce which is almost like the sriracha mayo sauce. This was fantastic and I highly recommend you try it.
Yazu Andheri - Japanese Sushi

4. Yazu Signature Roll – The Yazu signature roll is a smoked salmon special. I love salmon sushi and hence I liked it a lot. It tastes really nice and is not spicy at all.

  1. Red Tuna Nigiri – The classic Nigiri is a type of sushi that has the raw meat or fish which is placed on top of pressed vinegared rice. I had this with a pinch of wasabi and I must say it was good. I usually prefer salmon nigiri but red tuna did surprise me.
Yazu Restaurant Mumbai - Best Sushi
  1. Spicy Lamb – Again, the suggestion by Yazu’s staff is bang on target. This one is a chef’s signature dish where the meat is cooked very well. They’ve made it spicy and I must say it is the good kind of spicy where you cannot stop eating until it’s over. Do try it out if the lamb is your favorite.
Yazu Restaurant Mumbai - Best Beef
  1. Yazu signature green curry fried rice – This one is your basic green Thai curry along with their basic version of fried rice. These are served with 4 prawn crackers for the company and topped along with sunny side up fried egg. I love green curry and hence these mains is amazing. The rice tastes well and so does the meat. Please do try this out.

8. Japanese Cheesecake – I love matcha. I cannot deny it. Hence when I saw the cheesecake here along with matcha ice cream, I had to try it. They have added their baked cheesecake along with matcha green tea ice cream. I loved the texture and consistency of taste. It’s really good.

To conclude, there’s good food at Yazu restaurant Mumbai and also an amazing variety of drinks. A special thanks to their staff, especially “Kreo” and “Piloto”. They made us feel at home and were always there to help us make the right decisions and ensure we had a good meal. People as such make your dinner a memorable experience. Do check Yazu Andheri. They’re worth it.

You can also read – Unlock Netflix Secret Codes and watch hidden movies and TV Series

Maharaja Bhog – Food Review

Maharaja Bhog is one of those feel-good places where anyone and everyone is bound to have an amazing time. There’s instrumental music that is calming.

There’s a caring atmosphere here as the staff would be on their toes running around ensuring every patron has an amazing time. I’ve been for lunch here so many times and fail to remember if I ever had a bad time ever.

Location and proximity from the station:

The only harsh part of the Juhu outlet is that it is forever crowded because of its proximity to Juhu Beach. The nearest station is Vile Parle and it would take you a maximum of 10-15 minutes to get to the place.

Seating and Ambiance:

Maharaja Bhog is always bright and they surely love yellow and gold. Everything about the place is vibrant and there is constant chatter. They have comfortable seating for all kinds of groups. There are tables for two, four, eight or even a bigger number. They have a place for everyone. There is soothing music playing which helps you get in the calming mood.

Food and Drinks:

We began with their welcome drink. That sets your taste buds ready for a meal to remember. They have a thali system where first they would fill up all the mini bowls and the plate with every essential item on the list. Looking at the thali itself is an amazing experience in itself.

Here’s what you can expect in the Maharaja Bhog thali;

Farsan:

Ghugra and Khatha Dhokla Mariwala – Ghugra and Dhokla are served with three different chutneys that are sweet, spicy and finally, they served us their special beet raita which in itself was amazing and creamy.

Sindi Dal Pakwan Tadka – A special mention of this amazing masterpiece. I loved the entire pakwan. It’s their famous bestseller here. I surely had another serving of this masaledaar pakwaan! You will too!

Vegetables:

Mix Veg Paneer – I love the way they make their paneer. This one is not spicy at all and they make it more thick and creamy. This one is fit for those who love their paneer when it is absolutely not spicy.

Bhindi Masala – They cut the bhindi into tiny fine pieces and the masala makes this item one of the things you must look out for. We liked this.

Aloo Dil Khus – Perhaps it’s my fixation with Aloo but I really love the variations you can come up with potatoes. This one too is a nonspicy option and tastes well.

Dal/ Kadhi:

Rajasthani Dal – I love spicy dal. There is something about the taste that you really cannot resist it until it is complete. I had more than two servings of this dal and it will complement well with the vegetables and even when had plainly. Spicy and tasty.

Gujarati Dal – The sweeter variant of dal is also not to be ignored. I like the kadhi as it helps you when you have something spicy to nullify the spiciness off your tongue.

Roti:

We tried three variants; Fulka, Kanda Palak Thepla, and Rotla which is a ragi based roti. This goes well with the spicy dal and also with the bhindi and aloo.

Khichdi:

We then tried their traditional famous khichdi with ghee. It’s made very fine and tastes oh so good! We would definitely suggest you to not miss out on any of these!

Desserts:

Apple Halwa – The best part of this halwa was its consistency with the flavor and also the thickness. It’s a proper halwa as you like it and those who like apple would definitely love this.

Fruit Custard – Oh I love the way they have worked on their custard. You can expect a sweet ending here with this custard and even 2 servings are less!

Conclusion:

Maharaja Bhog is for every age group and even though it’s a vegetarian place, you will surely leave this place with a huge tummy and a smile on your face.

It’s something to do about their hospitality and how they give equal attention to each customer. I would like to thank their founder and managing director Ashish Maheshwari for an experience to remember.

Here are my past posts for the letter J from the A to Z Challenge.

Follow my food journey on Zomato and Instagram