Here’s a puzzle for you:
You went out for an evening walk alone.
After walking for 30 minutes you walked back home alone.
You unlocked the main door of your house and there was no one.
Still, someone walked with you inside. Who walked in with you?
No, it’s not your shadow. It’s the allergen that walked in with you.
Wait, what are allergens, you may ask?
Many times, allergies are caused because of certain substances to which our immune system reacts. These are called allergens.
Allergens cause irritation and a lot of discomforts. I have a pollen allergy and while walking outdoors in the pollen season, a short walk also causes me to start sneezing because of the pollen in the environment.
This sneezing would continue even after I reached home. After some research, I realized how I brought the allergen back home with me. It stuck to my clothes and handkerchief.
Since I didn’t change clothes immediately or take a shower, it caused me to sneeze, get a runny nose along with nasal itching that resolved with a visit to the doctor.
Small mistakes like these can have disastrous effects.
Hence today, I will tell you 9 easy ways on how to keep outside allergies outside your home in India.
1. First things first. Please find out what you’re allergic to. No point making changes when you don’t know what affects you, right?
You can ask your parents, maintain a diary for your symptoms of allergies so you know what season and what time of the day or place, you are most affected by the symptoms.
2. Check the daily pollen forecast before planning any outdoor activities. Pollen allergy is pretty much a standard allergy and affects a lot of people.
Most of us don’t even check the pollen forecast, do we?. It’s time to change that habit.
3. If you have pets at home, do bathe them regularly as our furry friends catch pollens and other allergens quickly while they run and roll outdoors.
If you don’t do anything about it, this pollen will come to your home, your bedroom, and will affect your health.
4. Not just pets, you are a carrier too. You can carry allergens with you back home. Hence it’s advisable to shower when you come from outside.
If your eyes get irritated in a certain season, wear protective glasses as allergens might be affecting your eyes.
5. People who have sinuses can consult their doctors and use a saline spray so no allergens set up a camp within your sinus. This is like a shower for your sinus.
6. You can lay down two doormats: One outside and one inside the house. Doing this will keep most of the allergens that come with your shoes outside your house.
7. It’s considered a good habit to change the air filters on your heating and cooling systems. You can check the manufacturer’s instructions on when to make changes so you keep your environment allergen-free.
8. You must opt for curtains that are machine washable. You can wash them once a week and get rid of any allergens stuck to them.
9. Finally, while driving or if you’re in a vehicle, close the windows so that allergens in the air cannot come in and stick to you or your vehicle upholstery.
These are 9 easy ways you can keep outside allergies outside your home. These steps are not only easy but also beneficial. You will improve your health and reduce the number of doctor visits as well!
Know more about allergies and their management here.
Disclaimer: The views expressed in the blog content are independent and unbiased views of solely the blogger. This is a part of the public awareness initiative supported by Sanofi India. Sanofi India bears no responsibility for the content of the blog. One should consult their healthcare provider in matters of any health-related information.
You can also read – Unlock 250+ Hidden Categories on Netflix with these Secret Codes!