M is for Meliorism – A to Z Challenge 2019

Today’s post is dedicated to Meliorism which is a belief that the world can be a better place.

Ross Geller had been a good father to Pheobe. Even when her grades kept falling with each exam, he believed in her. When Ross visited Pheobe at school, she was scared to show her report card which didn’t have any good outcome.

She was below average when it came to academics. But that didn’t anger Ross one bit. The teacher kept telling him that Pheobe Buffay must show improvement or be ready to fail.

Ross patiently listened to what the teacher had to say. But like the last 2 exams, he again asked Pheobe to improve her efforts and that he believed she would definitely get better. He was so proud of her.

Curious with how Ross spoke to his daughter, she asked him why he would be so positive.

Ross then said, “I had a rough childhood. My parents compared me to my overachieving sister who always came first. I was the duffer of the household. There was no motivation. I am a failure and my parents remind me of that with each report card.

The teacher maintained a sympathetic face. Ross continued “As I grew up and then became a father, I vowed that my child doesn’t go through the same.  She will grow at her pace. I’m sure, you’ll definitely see a change in the next exam.

And so it did happen. There was some improvement in Pheobe’s grades in the next exam. That’s what meliorism stands for; a belief that the world can be made better with human effort and not with just fear or anger!

This post is written as part of the annual A to Z Challenge where for each day of April (except Sundays) I shall write a post based on the part of the letter of 26 alphabets.

I have been participating in this challenge since 2015. To read more of my posts from the “A to Z Challenge” CLICK HERE

You can follow my food journey on Zomato and Instagram

1 thought on “M is for Meliorism – A to Z Challenge 2019”

  1. Pingback: M is for Mango - A to Z Challenge 2020 - Where to find Mango in Mumbai?

What do you think about this article?

Scroll to Top