Answered: Your Most Burning Questions About IPL 2020

2020 has been a rollercoaster year for cricket lovers.

First, IPL 2020 was cancelled.

Then international cricket went on an indefinite break.

After 4 months, we saw a Test played between England and the West Indies. This test was special as for the first time in 143 years, it was played with no spectators.

A few days ago, we got an IPL 2020 update that this time, IPL would take place after all. But not in India. It will take place in the United Arab Emirates (UAE).

The new IPL 2020 date is set on 19th September 2020 and ends on 10th November 2020.

Image credit – CSK Twitter

I know that we won’t be able to see them play live but still, this is a sweet surprise. Here’s what we know as of now.

When will the IPL 2020 begin?

As per the IPL 2020 new schedule, matches will start from 19th September 2020 and end with the final played on 10th November 2020. Matches will take place in the early evening at 15.30 pm IST and late evening at 19.30 pm IST.

Most matches will be played in the evening to suit the Indian audiences. Also, for the first time in 13 years, an IPL final will be played on a weekday. Yes, IPL 2020 final date is 10th November i.e. a Tuesday.

Which locations will the IPL 2020 be played at?

While the primary location in UAE, matches will be played across Dubai, Sharjah and Abu Dhabi. This will be the longest IPL ever at 53 days as the older versions spanned across 49 days only.

How many teams will be part of IPL 2020?

For this 53 day event, there will be 8 teams competing for the coveted IPL 2020 trophy. However, there is a cap on the player limit this time. While the past years had 25 players per team, in this edition of the IPL, teams will only have 24 players. This means, SRH, KXIP, and RR will have to drop one player before leaving for UAE.

Here are the IPL 2020 teams;

Rajasthan Royals (RR), Sun risers Hyderabad (SRH), Kings XI Punjab (KXIP), Mumbai Indians (MI), Chennai Super Kings (CSK), Royal Challengers Bangalore(RCB), and Delhi Capitals(DC).

Where can I watch IPL 2020 online?

If you wish to watch live cricket IPL matches, then that can only happen online. You can watch live IPL match online on these websites:

IPL live scores on Cricbuzz

Get the best IPL 2020 commentary on ESPN Cric Info

Will people in the UAE be allowed to watch IPL 2020 matches in the stadium?

As the IPL 2020 date was announced, The Emirates cricket board has stated its wishes to start the IPL with no audience but then, later on, would expect to fill up to 30-50%* crowd capacity. So I’m sure once the IPL 2020 match schedule is finalized, booking IPL tickets will become easier.

What happened at the IPL Auction 2020?

The IPL Auction 2020 took place in December 2019 at Kolkata. A total of 60+ players are bought by all the combined 8 teams. Only 6 players made it to the million-dollar pay cut ($10,00,000). The highest amount paid for an Indian in this auction was by Chennai Super Kings for Piyush Chawla (6.75 crores = $900,000)

Presenting the Top 6 expensive players of the IPL auction.

Pat Cummins (AUS) – Bought by Kolkata Knight Riders – 15.50 crores

Glen Maxwell (AUS) – Bought by Kings XI Punjab – 10.75 crores

Chris Morris (AUS) – Bought by Royal Challengers Bangalore – 10.00 crores

Sheldon Cottrell (WI) – Bought by Kings XI Punjab – 8.50 crores

Nathan Coulter Nile (AUS) – Bought by Mumbai Indians – 8.00 crores

Shimron Hetmeyer (WI) – Bought by Delhi Capitals – 7.75 crores

So as you can see, 4 of the 6 expensive players belong to Australia and that shows how much of dominance Australians have on IPL.

Which retained players are the most expensive in IPL 2020?

IPL 2020 has world-class players that have been retained by their teams. The salary bracket here to is way higher than the auctioned players.

Here’s a list of Top 6 expensive retained players in IPL 2020:

Virat Kohli (IND) – Retained by Royal Challengers Bangalore – 17.00 crores

MS Dhoni (IND) – Retained by Chennai Super Kings – 15.00 crores

Rohit Sharma (IND) – Retained by Mumbai Indians – 15.00 crores

David Warner (AUS) – Retained by Sun Risers Hyderabad – 12.50 crores

Steven Smith (AUS) – Retained by Rajasthan Royals – 12.50 crores

Sunil Narine (WI) – Retained by Kolkata Knight Riders – 12.50 crores

As you can see, the Top 3 expensive players belong to India. Ben Stokes has been retained by Rajasthan Royals for 12.50 crores. Players like Suresh Raina and AB De Villiers too have been retained by their IPL franchise for more than 10 crores.

You can also readUC Cricket Buzz

Where’s the latest IPL 2020 match schedule list?

The IPL 2020 schedule list has not yet been finalized. While rumors have it that the old fixtures will be kept the same way, we are yet to receive any form of update on the same. However, to make it easier for you, here’s an image of the old fixture list with new dates. If all goes well, this same list will be used.

Image credit – ICC Cricket Schedule

Where can you play Fantasy sports for IPL 2020?

Now that the IPL 2020 date has been announced, get ready as soon all the fantasy gaming portals will start giving you lots of opportunities to play, have fun, and earn money too. Many such fantasy gaming portals host all sorts of IPL cricket matches. Here are some of these portals that you can utilize:

Play IPL 2020 on Dream 11My11 CircleMy Team 11Hala playFan mojo, and many more.

Who will win the IPL 2020 final in UAE?

IPL 2020 date for the final is set on 10th November 2020. Now I’m not any soothsayer or fortune teller but judging by how this year has shaped our lives, I am expecting the unexpected only. This is because no team will have a home advantage at all. Hence the playing field becomes even.

I guess we will see a new and first time champion between Kings XI Punjab, Delhi Capitals, and Royal Challengers Bangalore.

What do you guys think? Who will win the IPL 2020 final in UAE?

30 thoughts on “Answered: Your Most Burning Questions About IPL 2020”

    1. Lancelot Quadras

      Hello Maharaj, thank you so much! Yes, the precautionary measures will be on high alert! I hope all goes well without any issues.

  1. I am so glad you wrote this post! As a cricketer myself and wife of a seasoned player, we have been constantly trying to piece together all the information around IPL 2020. Thank you so much for sharing this information! Keep writing!

  2. Wow Lance… such a comprehensive article… now waiting to know about planning and precautions that are taken iz that is going to be one mammoth task this IPL

    1. Lancelot Quadras

      Hey Nidhi, I have heard about a bio bubble and some hotel policies but nothing has materialized yet. Shall update the article as I find it.

  3. This is an interesting post, especially for me as I had thought all the leagues were cancelled for the year. Also I am not really a person who watches cricket much unless my friends force me to.

    1. Lancelot Quadras

      Hey Raksha, not just this but soccer and other international events will start by end of next month! That’s what I’ve heard so far.

    1. Lancelot Quadras

      Hey Avantika, yeah that’s the story of 2020. Hopefully, for 10-15 matches, there might be a crowd.

    1. Lancelot Quadras

      Hey Abhishek, no audience for the first 10-20 matches. Maybe then the audience will be allowed. This is the latest update.

  4. Pingback: Dream11 Wins the IPL 2020 Title Sponsor Race in UAE

  5. Pingback: CSK vs DC Q2 – Full Match Highlights IPL 2019

  6. Pingback: Delhi Capitals Got "Ryan Harris" as Their New Bowling Coach for IPL 2020 UAE.

  7. Pingback: Win Real Money with these Top 5 Fantasy Cricket Apps in India -

  8. Everything is available online, you just need to have an Internet connection and smartphone to have an access to the websites and channels. Through different channels and updates, you will be able to stay in touch with all the happenings of the match. You will also be able to watch after the ending if you have missed the live streaming.

What do you think about this article?

Scroll to Top