Chai Pe Charcha Mumbai

Chai Pe Charcha – Food Review

Sir Arthur Wing Pinero once said, “Where there’s tea there’s hope.”

William Ewart Gladstone once said, “If you are cold, tea will warm you; if you are too heated, it will cool you; if you are depressed, it will cheer you; if you are excited it will calm you.”

I agree with these quotes and I’m sure most of you who’ve ever had tea will agree that’s what Tea does. It has the calming effect to suit your mood, to refresh, and to make sure you’re satisfied till the very end.

So with this enthusiasm, I did visit this place named “Chai Pe Charcha.”

img_20160911_172313_hdr

The name itself is self-explanatory.

They have a total of 3 outlets namely;

Chai Pe Charcha – Prabhadevi

Chai Pe Charcha – Lower Parel

Chai Pe Charcha – Fort (Newly opened)

I visited the newly launched place in Fort.

img_20160911_172237_hdr

Every place has it’s own distinct style.

They’ve used a lot of colors in the entire outlet and you’re destined to feel like a child when you’re here as the tables have games set up such as Ludo and Chess.

img_20160911_172900_hdr

Moving on, their menu has a lot of variety. There’s a lot of variety in;

Tea of course!

Breakfast options like Sabudana Wada, Upma, Kanda Poha, and Bun Maska.

Paranthas (You ought to try many)

Combos (Like a mini-meal)

img_20160911_172222_hdr
The menu variety in a nutshell

When we entered this place, these were the two pictures present on either side of the gate.

The above picture depicts what Chai Pe Charcha has in store to offer for their customers. On the other side of the gate is their menu which is too much to fathom and impossible to complete even in 10 outings!

img_20160911_172300_hdr
Their menu placed right on the entry. Look at the variety!

I tried 3 types of Tea namely;

Sukoon Ki Chai (Cinnamon and Fennel) which indeed was soothing.

Hajmola Tea – Just to get rid of the curiosity. The taste was exactly how I expected it to be. Chatpata!

Barfi Dum Chai – Cold Tea! (Yes, that’s also new and was a perfect way to end this outing.

img_20160911_174646_hdr
Barfi Dum Chai

img_20160911_172915_hdr
Sukoon Ki Chai – Liked the style in which they presented the  Cutting Tea along with a sachet of sugar, A tissue, and Khari.

The above image is of a Cutting chai. There’s also a Full glass which is bigger than this!

Of course, having Tea was of prime importance but it’s incomplete without few snacks, right?

Here are a few signature dishes you ought-ta try for sure when you visit them.

img_20160911_173009_hdr
Gulkand Bun Maska

Gulkand Bun Maska is a must. It’s perfect and will go well with whichever Tea you’d like to have.

img_20160911_173028_hdr
Firangi Khakra – Nachos Style

Firangi Khakra – Nachos Style is for those who like cheese, capsicum, and also khakra! I liked this combo and the name is catchy.

img_20160911_175309_hdr
Nutella Pizza

Of course, there has to be chocolate. The Nutella pizza is decent and you cannot hate it simply because it’s Nutella!

img_20160911_180712_hdr
Namak and Laal Mirch Parantha

I tried the Paneer, Cheese, Pyaaz, and finally the Namak and Laal Mirch Paranthas. They all are filling, heavy, tasty, and will leave you with a smile and surely a Burp later!

img_20160911_183555_hdr
Sabudana Khichdi and in the background, we can see the Ludo Game.

The posts in the lower portion of the image are for everyone who has visited this place. They write something about the place. I did too.

This outlet of Chai Pe Charcha is supposedly the biggest. It can seat a lot more people than both the other outlets.

Chai Pe Charcha is most fondly known as a takeaway place for the corporate folks and people who stay nearby.

Visit this place and I promise you’ll not be disappointed.

Chai pe Charcha can be found in Andheri, Marol, Prabhadevi, Dadar & Malad. So if you wish to find Chai pe charcha near me, check out Zomato!

Follow my food journey on Zomato and Instagram

Here are my past posts for the A to Z Challenge

Chettinad biryani masala festival

Chettinad Food Festival Review

Chettinad Food Festival 2020

Lake View Hotel, Renaissance (Powai, Mumbai)

Until a few weeks back, I had absolutely no clue about the Chettinad cuisine. By the sound of it all, I could imagine was this being a South Indian cuisine. That was correct. So on a one fine Friday evening, I got invited for a food festival organized at the Lake view hotel within the Renaissance along with many other food bloggers.

We all got to sit outside with a splendid view and yes that was totally a 10/10 move when it came to the view but the mosquitoes around made sure I ran inside and finish my meal. Anyway, in generality, the Chettinad food has a lot of masalas, spices, etc and is considered one of the spiciest cuisines in India.

You can read more about it HERE.

I’ll be posting a few pictures now with the names of the dishes (which btw took me a lot of time figuring it out also). The review shall follow after the pictures. This just gives you the outlook of a typical South Indian house kitchen, don’t ya think?

chettinad masala company

Authenticity at it’s best like the chettinad masala company.

chettinad spices

You will be amazed with the itc chettinad chicken masala. It’s one of a kind.

Below will be pictures that shall denote the variety which the hotel chose to offer with the Chettinad cuisine. This move might have been taken with the view of getting the foreigners staying there to try something that they know.

By far, the dishes were well served but the variety of non-Chettinad cuisine was worrying. This is because if you keep a food festival, you keep maximum dishes of the cuisine you’re showcasing. The ratio can be 80-20. Here it looked almost 60-40! The food dishes included Chettinad chicken biryani masala & their famous curry i.e. the chicken Chettinad.

Unique food at Chhetinad festival

The Grilled Fish in creamy pesto sauce was a delight to have. Melted in the mouth, literally.

roasted chicken chettinad

The Roasted chicken was cooked well with the spices and made for an excellent side dish.

chettinad masala curry

To the left, you would find the Palkatti Chettinad which literally had spices alongside cottage cheese. This one didn’t go that well for me. I like paneer and have had better too.

The Mattangai Moru Kolambu was a curd based gravy involving the red pumpkin cooked with yogurt and coconut paste. I liked it.

chettinad curry India

These two were the highlight of the evening for me apart from the Chef’s specials.

To the left was the Venkai Kozhi Kootu was chicken cooked in the most traditional South Indian way with the masala and the onions giving it a spicy flavor.

To the right was the Mutton Chettinad, where there were a lot of coconuts to accompany the lamb and this dish was amazing. You can see how quickly it got over. I could barely make a decision to eat or to click here.

Mutton Chettinad

Here’s presenting the Meen Pal Kolambu, which includes boneless fish pieces cooked in coconut milk. See, coconuts are everywhere in any dish. Well cooked and the taste did make me go for another serving.

Meen Pal Kolambu Chettinad
Image credit – Sanjay Thampy

This was quite an interesting dish. The Vendakai Puriyal had a mixture of ladyfinger with coconut and curry leaves. Quite an interesting concept had to try it.

Chettinad Dessert special

The above 3 pictures were for the dessert lovers like me and here’s where they failed. There was hardly any dessert that was remotely near to the south Indian cuisine. That hurt.

Kuthu Paratha Chettinad

The Kuthu Paratha, one of the chef’s specials where the Malabari Paratha made with refined flour is broken into pieces and added with the coconut-based vegetable stew and mixed with onion, tomato, and capsicum on a Tawa.

I thought while the chef was weaving his magic, that I made a wrong choice and was feeling bad already that this would be wasted by me. But boy after tasting it, I couldn’t agree more; Don’t ever judge a book by its cover.

Kozhi Malligai Chettinad
Image credit – Sanjay Thampy

The next special dish for the day was the Kozhi Malligai, which was an absolute delight. This was a preparation of boneless chicken deep fried and tossed in a thick paste of green chilly, ginger, and garlic, with coriander and coconut and then wrapped in a banana leaf. Just imagine all of that and yes, it tastes good.

Overall I liked the food, the spiciness, and the staff too. There could have been more dishes relating to the cuisine rather than thinking of the crowd and adding the general dishes from other cuisines. But that’s my opinion.

The Lake View restaurant is amazing in terms of the view, the ambiance, and will be higher on the pricing point of view. Food quality is at it’s best. The staff is sincere and cater to your needs. Proximity from Andheri station is far. Almost an hour away including the time spent in traffic. For the ones coming via Ghatkopar, this place will not take long enough to find.

Follow me on LinkedIn and Quora for amazing content.

You can also read – Netflix Secret Codes that will unlock 250+ categories

Karachi Bakery Mumbai

Karachi Bakery Mumbai – Food Review

I was invited to Karachi Bakery Mumbai newly opened place in the heart of Linking Road, Bandra and boy was I in for a treat.

To be honest, I hadn’t heard much about the place. When I uttered the words “Karachi Bakery Mumbai” in front of my parents, that’s when I knew how good this place was.

What is Karachi Bakery Mumbai famous for?

Of all I’ve heard, anyone who visits Hyderabad always has to get something back from this Bakery. Karachi biscuits are very popular and I’m still trying to figure out, how can I not remember about this place. But from what I hear, the Hyderabad Karachi Bakery is almost out of stock every single day. That’s how famous it is with the locals and tourists.

I am sad that there is no Karachi Bakery near me but traveling long distances to their outlets is still worth every penny. Apart from Mumbai, there is a Karachi Bakery in Hyderabad, New Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai, and Haryana.

Anyways, I’m not going to bore you with more prose. It’s time for a few pictures after which I shall give a synopsis of the place and what you can expect from them.

Cake at the Karachi Bakery
Lancelot Quadras at the Karachi Bakery in Mumbai
Another amazing Cake at Karachi Bakery
Fruit cake
Strawberry Cheesecake in Mumbai
Karachi Bakery Pizza
Pizza is always the best option.
Karachi Bakery Pasta
Do you like Pasta?

Yes, that’s how much of variety they have in pastries. The same goes for their biscuit collection. I’ve tasted the biscuits and the variety is what gives them the edge. From crisp biscuits to the Italian spicy biscuits, they have it all.

Here’s a little synopsis for you to get a feel of Karachi Bakery Mumbai.

  • Space Congestion at Karachi Bakery:

This is what makes the difference everywhere. If there’s no space, you’re sure to lose out on a tiny proportion of customers. Also this is a bakery and thus space issues is possible. There’s ample space for whoever wishes to buy biscuits and a few pastries too. For those who like to sit and relish their desserts, there are a few tables but it cannot seat more than 10-12 people at a time comfortably. Rest assured, when you’re there you’ll be confused with what to buy! So sitting won’t be an issue. So it’s a 3.5/5 for space.

  • Variety:

They are known for their biscuits. You’ll give that the first preference. But I’m sure after looking at the pictures above, you’ll give their pastries and cupcakes a try too. They are delicious and add value to this place. They have also added pasta and a pizza option too. So you can have something to eat when you’re in a sugar rush! So it’s a 4.5/5 for variety.

  • Pricing:

For the cakes and pastries there’s a reasonable pricing style which I completely adore them.

For the biscuits, the pricing is from reasonable to high depending on what and how much of quantity you want to purchase. Overall it won’t hurt your pocket. So it’s a 3.5/5 for pricing.

  • Quality:

I’d give this place a  4/5 in terms of quality. I’ve had a lot of stuff from here already and I have nothing to complain about except the pizza. Also, this is not what this place is well known for.

  • Proximity from Station:

It’s really not tough to find this place. Karachi Bakery exists at Linking Road, Bandra exactly opposite McDonald’s and beside KFC. It’s at a 10-minute distance from both Khar and Bandra station. So 5/5 for choosing an awesome location.

  • Service:

Here I cannot rate them much due to this being a bakery and not a fully-fledged restaurant. But the staff are very friendly to anyone and everyone who visit them. I found them friendly enough and that’s what makes the experience worth remembering.

Overall, I’d give this place a 4.5/5. For those who love the biscuits from Karachi Bakery, rejoice because they’re here to serve you. Now we don’t need to run to Hyderabad or wait for an acquaintance to get us something. It’s not that far away anymore!

I’ll be heading there soon again once my stock is over. Here’s a glimpse below. Happy eating!

Karachi Bakery Mumbai