Y is for Yeverous – A to Z Challenge 2018

Y is for Yeverous which means being eager or impetuous.

Never reply when you are angry. Never make a promise when you are happy and never make a decision when you are sad. These lines make a lot of sense. Until few years back, I would do all the above every single time I was happy, sad or angry. The results were catastrophic. I liked this line which perfectly resembled me i.e. “Jump first, think later”. Now I’ve reversed it a lot. I now think first and then jump. It makes my life better.

Taking decisions in the heat of the moment never helps anyone. It makes matters worse. Let’s analyze and then take a call. But it’s easier said than done. A simple example being plans made in a group for a trip to Goa or Ladakh! Everyone leaps in joy and say “Done”. But when the time comes, someone backs out because his parents are suddenly unwell, some don’t have the money and the rest just lost interest. The plan goes kaput and someone gets hurt the most as they had initiated the plan and was excited to go. So if you cannot go somewhere, don’t take a hasty decision as you don’t know how it hurts the other person.

I gave an example of travel. This can be applied to a lot of situations where we promise something and then cannot deliver. Also, when angry we say things we don’t mean but it hurts the other person. There’s nothing you can do about it as words once spoken cannot be retrieved back. Also, when I’m sad I refrain from taking life changing decisions. Trust me, at that moment you just do about anything to take your mind off the pain. But that’s the point. You have to suffer. That pain is for a moment. Let it through and once you’re done, it shall not affect you. Not letting it hurt you is bad as you delay it and do something stupid. Every emotion must be felt and so is sadness.

To conclude, let’s not be Yeverous as it’s best to take a deep breath and think before you promise, decide or reply. That definitely will make you a better person.

This post is part of the A to Z Challenge 2018.

You can check my posts of this series right from 2015 till date – CLICK HERE

4 thoughts on “Y is for Yeverous – A to Z Challenge 2018”

What do you think about this article?

Scroll to Top