“Life in the fast lane” is what we Mumbaikars demand.

That’s how we live.

 Mumbai Metro has been something which just took too long to start.

But it finally lived up to its hype.

  Sunday, it all began.

I was clueless as to the hullabaloo surrounding Andheri station.

20140608_112258

The person standing to the bottom right of the above picture cleared my doubts.

 My friend Aga had known about Metro opening and so through him I got the news.

This is how we began our journey from Andheri to Ghatkopar.

 20140608_112354

The stations have been made spacious enough to handle the peak hour crowds.

The designing and layout too are decent enough.

Ticket lines are the same as our Western railways but the only thing differentiating them is that there are many such counters and kiosk machines to avoid extra delay time.

  20140608_113037

That’s your ticket.

One small coin.

And the best part was that since it was Inauguration day, all tickets cost us 10/- per journey.

 20140608_112655

The machines you see above are like the subway system in other states and countries where you have to place the coin on the detector machine, and then only can you pass.

For newbie and ticket-less travelers a warning is that only one person can pass with one coin.

  20140608_115749

This is the train we entered in, the inaugurated train.

All decked up.

The journey we had, were quick, marred by every other person clicking photos in full swing.

I’m sure to have been captured at least a 100 times in many cameras.

I photo bombed group pics too. (Evil laugh)

Media and Police personnel were available at all places.

By the time we reached Ghatkopar, every corner had at least a dozen of reporters asking people for their reviews.

When a camera man asked for one photo, you won’t believe it but around 50-60 people just jumped for it.

All in all, it has lived up to its hype, but it will be tested in this month as we will witness if Metro can handle huge crowds or no.

Some thoughts:

  1. The doors are automatic. So, it will not stop for anything and everything. Thus I feel there are bound to be accident cases soon. Thus the staff must be kept near every door, so as to make sure no one is hurt.
  1. The metal detector machine is just one line, and that means at peak hours, there will be a huge line. Just one line means there will be a packed station and chaos. They need to increase the lines.
  1. Also, however good the state of the train, it just doesn’t stop imbeciles from littering it with their junk food and all rubbish matter.
  1. The CCTV cameras if working in full swing can help in cases of theft, and for women safety during late night.

So for now, Mumbai might sense less traffic in certain areas.

Let’s see if Metro will be a boon or curse in the future!

Till then Mumbai,

Happy Traveling!

Continue Reading

What does 26th January mean to a Mumbaikar?

This day is patriotic..
But for most of us.. its something else..

For some, its a DRY DAY that means no alcohol… thus there is always extra crowd on 25th & 27th.
Funny isn’t it?
For some, its a perfect time for business.. e.g – I boarded a train now from Andheri station, many are standing on the bridge carrying small stick on flags… whoever passes by, they stick it to the shirt, and take some coins in change.

For some, this day is  a holiday.. another good day of rest…!!

For some, this day is just like the other days!!

For some, its a day they get to wear traditional outfits & show it to their friends or colleagues.!!

I haven’t come across any, but i do know that for some, this day is historic and its importance is invaluable..!!

As i travel, the crowd at every station is lesser than half the usual…
Either I’m too early, or maybe most of them are half asleep..

Anyways,
Have a nice day!
Saare jahaan se achhaa, Hindustan humara!!

Continue Reading

So, i guess everyone knows what does Chain Snatching mean…
Some call it an art, some call it a robbery etc.
I’m a simple resident in J.B.Nagar, Andheri East.

From the past couple of months, the chain snatching scenario has taken up our area like a flood.
Usually, My mother came home whining about the vegetable and meat and their rising prices.
But now, the scenario has changed.

Now, she gets home and tells me about whose chain got snatched, and where.
Its become a weekly affair and trust me, it does piss me off..

Recently, as i was walking towards cigarette factory to board a bus to Andheri station i seen a robbery right in front of me
It was around 10.30am, i was walking, and in front, a lady was purchasing potatoes i guess.
A bike was next to her. the next thing i seen was the person riding pillion, took the chain off like his hand was a magnet..(damn quick i must say) couldn’t see his face and the rider too wore a helmet.
they went ahead, but to their dismay, The locals caught wind of the act as everyone shouted, CHORRRRRRRRRRRRRR….!!!!
They couldn’t escape via bike, so they dumped it nearby and ran different routes.
One ran on the main road, while the other took a smaller route with many short cuts.
For a while, i was happy as many ran behind one of the robbers.

But then came the harsh part. The one who took the bigger route ran swiftly, No one around even tried to stop him… Cheers, Mumbai..!!

Felt bad, as the people just stood looking at him while he made his way..
The same scenario if happened with such people, they would be devastated.
The last i heard, they weren’t caught. but the bike was found. so fingers are crossed, lets hope they are put to test!!

Continue Reading