What does it mean to stay fit?

I would like to explain it to all of you people through 2 quotes which I feel are perfect in terms of understanding the importance of a healthy being.

  • Joyce Meyer says “I believe that the greatest gift you can give your family and the world is a healthy you”.

If I rewind 6 months back then I would think of this as an awesome quote and would post it as my status update on Facebook and Twitter. But now whilst reading this, I do understand why Joyce has uttered these golden words. The importance of staying fit has to happen at an early age. I’m 23 now and 6 months back, I could easily qualify as a 30 year old man with a stomach that looked like I was hiding a pillow behind my tees. I had a 10% exercise policy. Now why 10%?

Plainly because I stay on the 6th floor and sometimes the lift has a maintenance issue, so I am forced to take the long walk up the hill.

Long story short, I know the importance of being healthy. But overall, humankind has never been so generous in terms of staying fit or taking care of themselves. Sure, we can blame it on the work load, the various responsibilities which keep increasing as of age. But that shouldn’t deter us to be fit.

When we are fit a chain develops. The chain is,

Exercise – Fit – Confident – Happy – Positivity – Repeat.

I am not bragging when I say that this chain is what I felt. I have spoken to some of my friends who are fitness freaks and they said that this applies to anyone and everyone who thinks of their fitness.

When I went for swimming, my body hurt for the starting few days, then it gave me a lot of results right from a proper body shape to high levels of confidence and positivity in any work I had on my plate.

For a while, I actually looked forward to exercising. I started respecting my body and in turn my body respected me.

The final result was that almost anyone I met only raved about how thin or how fit I was. I couldn’t stop blushing like a small kid as I’ve never heard these lines ever in my 23 years on earth. But all in all, it felt good.

  • Thomas Fuller says “Health is not valued till sickness comes”.

I’m sure many of you will agree with Thomas. I am a firm believer too. We don’t value our body in all honesty. We treat it like a dust bin or a waste disposable machine whose only task is to clear the waste. What we don’t know is that every action has an opposite or an equal reaction.

We eat all sorts of junk food, which in all honesty is good only for a while, not all the time. What happens when we turn 35+ is that we cannot eat almost anything. Doctors prohibit our eating habits to a bare minimum. Pills and injections take place of the junk food and you live your life in a way that you start hating it.

Let’s avoid this.

One friend of mine had given me the best tip in terms of being fit.

His name is Dwitiy. He said “Eat… But at proper times”.

I did the same thing. I ate. I ate good but at proper time.

Sure I did have an occasional pani puri or a samosa pav, but that was just once a week.

To diet doesn’t mean that you have to cut down on everything. You just make a list of things which you can reduce on. Follow it alongside a string of exercises and let’s talk after 2-3 months. You surely will see good results. You will like the “New You”.

So, this is what health means to me. A healthy being constitutes a healthy mind. You will have positivity and confidence always around you. Being healthy will never make you sad. You will smile.

Sunfeast agrees with me too. They understand our health concerns and our dietary needs. So they launched “Farmlite Cookies”. These cookies are made from a combination of wheat, oats, almonds/ raisins. They come in 2 variants i.e. “Oats & Almonds” and “Oats & Raisins”. The combinations make sure you get good taste too.

Also the individual packing of cookies in packet form makes sure you can snack in peace.

Sunfeast came ahead with the theme of “Fitness is fun”. There are around 8 videos which show people of different ages and their quest of staying healthy.

I liked almost all, but I choose to show you 3 videos which really left a mark on me.

  • Git Fit Soon Mamu – This is the best video in the entire playlist. The havaldar catches many people during his duty for various reasons, and some of them cannot pay the fine. When he looks at these young guys, he realizes how overweight these guys have become. He makes them exercise for a while and asks them to continue doing so. As if you don’t do it now, you’ll never do it tomorrow and never ever again.

  • Goodbye Bai – This is like the harsh reality of today’s life. We have become so over dependent on our domestic help, that if they don’t come for one day then the house looks like a public place filled with filth. The best part is that we would live with that filth because we are lazy and proud of it. It’s high time we show some efforts in cleaning our house, and guess what, that is also one form of an exercise. In the video, the family members put on some music and clean the house in style thereby understanding the value of fitness.

  • Homework kiya? – This is yet another astounding effort. The classic line we use “Main pehle pareshan tha” shows how being overweight for the man brought a lot of issues not only at work, but also at social gatherings and at home. His confidence was hit, but after making some efforts in exercising and helping in household chores he not only is lean, but also has his confidence boosted.

I would like to end this post with a quote.

Anne Wilson Schaef says “Good health is not something we can buy. However, it can be an extremely valuable savings account.”

Continue Reading

I would like to start this post with a quote from Henny Youngman.

“What is a home without Children? … Quiet”

Yes… A home without children feels most of the times like an abyss.

A healthy child makes a happy home.

Not only happy, but also healthy.

Why so?

It’s simple.

If there are kids in the house, everyone is bound to take precautions not only for their own sake but also for the sake of the children.

They are prone to falling ill soon.

So we need to make sure to keep the surrounding neat.

Ask anyone who has a child in the house, what is the one thing they don’t have;

They will surely say “Silence”

But yes, ask them would they be happy with the silence?

For a little while; Yes!!

For a longer period; No!!

In my family, we have a lot of kiddos as we call them fondly who with their usual acts make sure that the house never remains in silent mode.

One such example is my cousin; Rolvin a.k.a “Nappy Boy”.

I’ve been calling him this even though he has stopped wearing diapers!!

2014-07-04 21.21.46

The energy he brings in every day is way higher than all of us combined in the house.

He will watch Chota Bheem, Doraemon, Shin-Chan, and wait for it… even Saas-Bahu sagas with his mother.

So he is a perfect all rounder here. He can strike a conversation with almost anyone, even our society watch dog.

When he is not watching television, he either is racking his mother’s brains, or he wants to play with his brothers and sisters.

Now we have no option other than playing with him, as he doesn’t like taking no for an answer.

I remember one such instance several years back when I visited them in Muscat. Rolvin was very little back then and he forced me to watch Hanuman cartoon movie 3 times back to back with him. I surely had a lot of patience back then.

Here’s a snapshot back then. I guess this was in 2007 or 2008.

2013-01-01 07.22.26(1)

When we go to our hometown Mangalore, every visitor in our house will always want to meet and talk to him.

He is just 8 years young now, and when anyone visits our place, he will ask of their well being, about everyone in the house he had spoken to. Can you imagine that?

Here, I can’t remember what my mother asks me to get from the local market 30 minutes back.

Jokes apart, health of a child is very delicate.

Now if he gets ill, we all will be on our toes, trying to make sure he gets back to his hyper self. The house is not on happy mode, if the kid is unwell.

But when he does recover; oh yes, the happiness is back.

He had come down from Muscat to spend time with us in Bombay for almost a month. We all got so used to the noise and laughter that post him leaving, the feeling of emptiness covered us all.

My house became the same old house minus Rolvin and his energy.

Thus a healthy child will ensure a happy home.

This post is written with respect to Indiblogger & Dabur Chyawanprash’s initiative i.e.

“A healthy child makes a happy home”

Visit their website – https://www.liveveda.com/daburchyawanprash/

and find out how Dabur Chyawanprash can provide our children with not one, not two, but with 3 times worth immunity.

Continue Reading