The Thai food festival is on at the Red Olives multi restaurant in Powai from the 1st to 15th September 2017.

There’s a menu curated just for these 15 days and the food is worth it.

Location and proximity from Station:

This is located at Hiranandani in Powai. It’s quite at the center if I must say. Although it’s almost a 15-20 minute rickshaw ride away from either Ghatkopar station or from Saki naka metro station.

Ambiance and seating:

The place has good vibes and I liked the ambiance. There’s ample of seating available for almost 70 people. Also I was amazed to see more crowd on a Saturday afternoon than usual weekdays when this place is packed with teams coming for corporate lunch.

Food and Drinks (Appetizers):

We began with few mock-tails in the menu. We tried the mandarin mojito, kiwi and kokam and also the Red Olives special. While I liked all the three due to their flavors, the best one had to be the Mandarin mojito. It’s a recommend.

Soups :

Tom tum (Chicken) – Spicy chicken soup with lemongrass. I must say, this is a delight for those who are a bit unwell and also for those who like their soups with more spice.

Tom Yom Talay – A coconut and tamarind flavored fish soup. The thickness in the coconut soup was amazing. For the first time, I preferred the fish rather than the chicken soup.

Pho Pia Kung – I am not a person who likes prawns. But I did try these spicy thai prawn rolls. They look tiny but taste good.

Ki Satae – Chicken satay with peanut sauce. Yes, I never thought this combination would go so well but it did. It’s amazing.

Khek pla – These fish cakes have a decent taste and you can try it with the dip provided. There’s nothing too good nor bad about this.

Main Course:

Chicken Thai curry with steam/jasmine rice – I ought to try the green curry always. So when I’m at the Thai festival, there’s no way I’m missing it. Here, the Thai curry is indeed amazing and I can recommend you to try this. Easily the best dish of the day.

Phat Thai Sho Wong : This one’s a combination of fried rice and noodles with prawns and vegetables. Well I’m not a prawns fan but the dish was decent. A bit of tangy feeling but I’m sure that can be dealt with.

Desserts:

Orange and kafir panacotta – The panacotta in general was good but took a bit of effort to have. Yes, there was a lot of taste but maybe an off day for them. Could get way better.

Tapioca start-fruit pudding : This one had tapioca pearls and starfruit puree which made this a dessert to try for sure. There’s a lot of sweetness here.

Mango and toasted coconut cheesecake : The best dessert of the day. This mango and coconut flavored cheesecake is worth fighting for. There’s flavor, there’s a lot of sweet and yes, please do try it.

Conclusion:

Overall, this food festival is worth trying and must not be missed. There’s still another week to go for this and I urge you to try this. It’s new and different from what we try usually.

Red Olives Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Continue Reading

As any other Sunday goes, I visit the church for the Sunday mass and then after meeting, greeting and to talk with few friends, getting some groceries or other food items for the house, I read the newspaper.

Usually, there will be a rape case, a murder or a suicide which hurts while reading. Today was no different. The suicide cases hurt more because that’s done by someone’s own will and for a reason that might sound petty to many of us.

Today as I read the newspaper about yet another “blue whale” suicide case, I remember the topic on which the priest spoke about I.e. the challenges youth face in a family.

There are many thoughts that go on in our young minds. We have a lot of questions, a lot of doubts, are scared of few things and situations. All we have to do is knock the door and ask our parents to talk about it. If not them, then a sibling, an uncle, an aunt, a relative who lives nearby etc. My point is, a lot of things can be sorted by this four letter word “TALK”.

We live in a time when we are told that due to technology, people living in one house don’t talk to each other but are buried inside their phones. That the only noise on the dining table would be of cutlery clanking on the plate or the sound of the television set.

And guess the best part of all this?

Even after knowing this and seeing videos showing how bad it is, we choose to blatantly ignore it and continjue doing so. Have you ever thought how silent your home gets when you do nothing apart from be inside your phone or watch the TV? Think about it. It will feel like a mortuary.

Coming back to the issues that youth face, there’s no one to blame. It’s just that we assume the outcome without even talking to someone.

What if my father hits me or tells me to leave the house?

What if they take away my phone if I tell them I failed?

What if they don’t allow me to hang out with my friends?

What if they treat me differently if I tell them I am addicted to smoking/drinking?

The “What If” is not right. We shouldn’t be assuming the outcome already. It’s possible that this can happen;

Your father will ask you to explain everything; might be upset; but pledge to help you no matter what, as you’re his son/daughter.

Your parents will not stop you from using your phone, but limit it for your betterment.

Your parents will ask you to get your friends home so they can also your circle and appreciate it.

Your parents might get upset that this has happened but will realize the strength you had to come up to them. They’ll be glad they heard it from you and not from some doctor in a hospital when you collapse.

There’s a lot of things which can happen. Just talk!

So what if they get upset; Don’t you think they should be?

But in the end they’ll turn around for you.

Image credit – http://talkaboutit.org/

There’s nothing more hurting than unspoken words.

Think about those who have lost someone just because the kid thought jumping from the terrace was easier than talking to his/her parents. What would be their state?

They’d wish anything for time to rewind so they would tell their kid that everything is fine and they’re there to help him/her get through with the problem.

There is nothing more assuring than the words spoken by your near ones saying “It’s alright”.

Continue Reading

Off The Grid, Andheri West

Location and proximity from Station:

“Off The Grid” is located opposite Infinity Mall, Andheri West. This is just 5 minutes away from the DN Nagar Metro station and also 15 minutes away from Andheri Station depending on the traffic.So you can choose either ways where to travel from.

Ambiance and seating:

“Off The Grid” has it all. There’s outdoor seating for sheesha, a space for the dance floor with loud music and also a fine dining space for those who want to enjoy their meal. They can also house any day between 75-90 people easily.

Food and Drinks (Appetizers):

Firstly, we had a set menu for us with a lot of variety in appetizers right from chicken to pork to fish. Also a lot of variety in the drinks menu. Here’s the list mentioned below;

Black Scotsman: This drink just made my day. Served as whisky + caffeine, this was served in a stainless steel flask. Yes, that’s how you have your whisky. Taste wise it’s good.

Barbados Sunset: Served in a coconut colored and shaped glass, this drink has a fruity feel to it. This is a rum based drink and is sure on the sweeter side.

Blasting Injectors: It’s kind of a thing now to customize right? And to do it to the point that we get our drinks infused in a huge syringe. These injectors make this drink look really good. Taste wise decent.

Khichiya Nachos: Probably the best vegetarian appetizer. I liked this a lot. It’s perfect for a sharing plate and you’re bound to fight for it.

Tawa Fish: Too crispy and tasty. Probably there was less fish and more of crispness here. Not an issue with me as taste-wise it felt too good.

Spicy Jamaican Lamb Burger: Yes, they got it right. A Lamb burger usually does justice when the patty is made well and is juicy in the end. Also there should be no issues with eating it and chewing it too. It’s good.

OTG Tandoori Non Veg Platter: A platter like this ought to be ordered whenever there is a crowd of 3 and above. With a spread of chicken and seekh kebabs with green chutney and onions spiced, this can never go wrong. There’s a tasty, mildly spicy mix of kebabs here.

Murgh Kali Mirch Kukkad: One of the best dishes of the night. It had all the masala and the flavor for you to crave for more of it. More on the spicy side so order likewise.

Also, here are few more pictures for appetizers from “Off The Grid”.

Chicken Calzone – Fillings inside

Main Course:

Beer Bacon Risotto: The risotto here was amazing. The quantity of bacon too was very generous. Although the beer quotient overpowered the taste of the bacon, I still couldn’t get enough of it.

Steamed fish with soya ginger broth: Clearly the winner in this category. The steamed fish was made well and had a distinct taste. This went well with the rice and veggies served.

Chicken chettinad: This chicken gravy did a bit of justice as chettinad usually refers to more spice in the entire gravy. I could digest this one easily and maybe this can be made better next time.

King prawns ginger lemongrass: Firstly, I’m not a fan of prawns in general but the people around me enjoyed it a lot and I thought why not try it at least. Not a bad choice. It’s good.

Desserts:

3 Way baked yogurt: There are 3 layers to this baked yogurt. Commendable effort by the chef to get these 3 layers to be intact and with taste.

OTG Sunday Extravaganza: Really this one has a lot of taste, flavor and must remind you of a gadbad or a falooda with ice cream. But this Sunday extravaganza is more than that. Do try it out.

Conclusion:

Finally, “Off The Grid” does leave it’s mark on the audience. I only wish them to work on their cocktails right from the alcohol content to the ingredients also. Sometimes it’s an off day and it’s understandable but if the drinks are not good, then it kind of ruins the day.

Also, with the variety they’ve offered, there will be a crowd here always and they’re here to stay for a long time.

Off The Grid Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Continue Reading