V is for Vaurien which means good for nothing.

Of all the words I have ever been exposed to, the one I absolutely loathe is “Useless”. This can also be translated to “good for nothing”. I believe no one should be called this. Sure, you think it’s just a general term but the damage that it can do is nothing less than a catastrophe.

Have you ever wondered when you call a person good for nothing? Do you know for sure there is nothing that they can do right? It’s very harsh and outright rude. Telling this to a child can scar them for life. Yes, words hurt more than they should. Calling a child useless (Vaurien) makes him to believe that he indeed cannot do something. You are creating a barrier in his mind right from the start. Doing that limits his/her capability and they are always held back. A child learns better than us adults simply because they have no fear of being judged nor do they have any barriers. We adults do have such inhibitions and hence take more time to learn something new.

I usually do make sure no one uses that word around me. It’s not a good practice and hence please do not encourage it. It’s not only for kids but also for adults. For those who have a fragile heart or are going through a bad time, hearing these words can break them completely. If they start believing that they are good for nothing, getting them out of that phase can take years. My only request to you is that you don’t use this word nor encourage it. I pray that you see the good in people always and make their life better.

This post is part of the A to Z Challenge 2018.

You can check my posts of this series right from 2015 till date – CLICK HERE

Spread the love...
  • 1
  • 1
    2
    Shares
Continue Reading

U is for Ubiquitous which means present everywhere.

Time is something that doesn’t wait for you, me or anyone else. Our problems however always wait for us. They are there today, tomorrow and for the whole year. Facing them alone is alright and brave. But having someone around to hear you rant and cry during these times is a luxury. I call it a luxury as it’s not always that everyone can remove time for us. They have a life too and have their own shit to go through. If they still manage time for you and are ubiquitous then you are lucky.

Being present every time for someone is a selfless act. In today’s time this word applies to only few people. Yes, parents are always ubiquitous for most of us. Blessed are those who have them and get to talk to them daily. But apart from them there are friends/companions who remove time for you. They do it out of their sheer love towards you. Be nice to them. Thank them once a while for being there when you needed them the most. Remember that there are many that don’t have such gems in their life. They fight a lone battle and it’s not a good sight.

To be honest with you people, I am not selfless. My friends know I don’t pick up any calls at night no matter what the situation. I value my sleep to be more important. My belief is that when you’re dealing with a problem, it is existing even during the day time. Hence you can talk to me during the day right up till 12 in the night. Yes, I agree that is very selfish and harsh but that’s how I’ve been. Have I lost few people due to this? Possibly yes. After all this, there are few who are still there for me when I need them. They don’t ignore my calls or messages. If I need them, they’re there for me. So I thank all of you to the moon and back for being there for me.

This post is part of the A to Z Challenge 2018.

You can check my posts of this series right from 2015 till date – CLICK HERE

Spread the love...
  • 4
  • 1
    5
    Shares
Continue Reading

T is for Talionic which means retributive.

We have been retributive a lot lately. By that I mean like for like and hate for hate. Being a blogger, you tend to learn this term very quickly. I don’t mean this in a bad way. It’s the use of it that irritates me. There’s even a hash tag for it. (Guilty – I too have used this at some point to get more likes and followers on Instagram). But that was a long time ago and I’m way past that. I like my work and have put it up on display for the world to see. I’m ready for the appreciation and criticism. But I’m not game for the like for like deal. When I browse through blogs or some Instagram profiles I like, I follow them. It doesn’t matter if they don’t follow me as I’m a firm believer of “Good content will always attract the right audience”.

While this is just one aspect, there is something else I want to get to your attention. Like Instagram, we also follow the “like for like” and “hate for hate” in our daily lives. While you might deny it, give it a thought. Every time someone says something nice to us, we sometimes like to return that favour back to them or someone else. Change the scenario to something with hate and that escalates quickly. Yes, if someone says something bad about you, you definitely return that favour. Sometimes, the effort you put in to return that hate is more than needed but you still do it. That talionic feeling keeps increasing like lava inside a volcano waiting to erupt. It’s not wrong. Who likes listening to something bad about themselves?

But there’s one thing you can do about it. Listen and Avoid. You can listen to what they have to say. It might be harsh and offensive but only you can decide how much it should affect you. If you think closely about what has been said and think it can be true, then work on yourself and try to be a better person. If you think it’s wrong and they have judged you totally out of proportion then simply avoid it. To conclude, just remember it’s very tough to change views what people have against you. So don’t waste your time on them and use that time in getting better.

This post is part of the A to Z Challenge 2018.

You can check my posts of this series right from 2015 till date – CLICK HERE

Spread the love...
  • 4
  • 3
    7